We all have to start our paths to happiness at some point. Some lucky souls find their way there on their own and early in life, others need a little push in the right direction. It can be immensely hard to know where to begin, a lot of people don’t even realise that happiness is a choice. The obvious first step towards being a more blissful being is making that choice. But where do you go from there?
Here, of course! All funniness aside, the list shown below is the method I use when I’m feeling down and out. It has helped me out of the gutter before, and it will do so again.
If you want to go for this, you do have to take it seriously, and you have to take your time. Grab a piece of paper and your favourite pen. Make yourself a cup of tea, or pour yourself a glass of wine and get ready to get deep. Here we go.
1. What makes you most enthusiastic right now?
2. What are you going to create today?
3. What is the best thing that happened in your life in the past week?
4. What are you most looking forward to right now?
5. Where do you want to travel to next?
6. What is your favourite quote right now?
7. What are you grateful for in this moment?
8. What would you like to learn about today?
9. What are you going to read today?
10. What fear can you get over in the foreseeable future?
11. What project are you focusing on right now?
12. When was the last time you finished something?
13. When did you meditate last?
14. When did you do yoga last?
15. When did you laugh out loud last?
16. What are you wearing to make you feel good?
17. What do you admire in others?
18. Who inspires you most?
19. When did you last make an effort to meet someone new?
20. When did you last have a positive impact on someone else?
21. What music makes you feel great?
22. When have you last eaten (healthily)?
23. What makes you feel productive right now?
24. Where were you a year ago today?
25. Are you depending your happiness on someone else?
BOOM. That’s that. I know it’s a lot to do, and the realisations you have during the work you do with this list may be too much for one day, so feel free to chop the work into bite sized pieces.
The questions are intentionally not in a particular order, because your brain needs to go all over the place. This is the original form of the list, it’s the one I’ve used and I feel like doing it in this order works best for me (but feel free to alter it to your wishes, do whatever works best for you!).
And all that’s left for me to do now is hope that this helps you, that you’re digging deep and getting to the answers you need. Just keep in mind that it’s not supposed to be easy, it’s supposed to help you. You may need to do a lot of dirty work before you get to the place where all the beauty lies hidden – but it will be worth it, cross my heart.
Remember: in the end, it’s all about how you feel.
All my love,
Image Adele by Vogue.